Friday, November 20, 2009

Money on the Ground

Today I was walking to class after getting coffee with a friend, and I saw a quarter on the ground. My first impulse was to pick the quarter up, but instead, I kept on walking. Even though I didn't stop, I found myself wanting to go back and get the quarter, and I kept thinking about it. Why did I want it? It's not like I could buy anything with just a quarter. I'm not starving, I have my own money. Is $0.25 that important?

Then I thought, could it have something to do with the Capitalist, materialistic culture that is America? The congenital desire that's cultivated in us from birth to accumulate all we can in this life, where "nothing is ever enough." It's so pervasive of how we're taught to think and act, that it affects the smallest things like picking a quarter up off the ground and putting it in our pockets.

No comments: