Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Oops

I have not had much luck at work recently.

First of all, I broke the sink. I was watering lettuce and had turned on the cold water faucet to do so. However, when I tried to turn it off, the handle just kept turning and wouldn't stop the water. If anything, it came out faster. The lettuce overflowed, then the sink overflowed, then Angelo's almost overflowed (but not really). Finally, one of the dishwashers was clever enough to turn the water off at the wall. The sink handle was stripped, apparently, and now Angelo's has one less sink. Oops.

The second disaster I created involved a fire in the microwave. I took some pita pockets out of the freezer and stuck them in said microwave to defrost them. We were really busy at the time, so I continued about my work on the deli. About 30 seconds later, I started to smell something funny and looked around for the source of said smell. My eye happened to pass the microwave, and there were flames inside it! I was like, "OH MY GOD THE MICROWAVE'S ON FIRE! NOBODY PANIC!" and ran over to put out the fire. My boss runs around the corner at about the same time, holding a huge pitcher of water (which I assume was to quench the flames, not her thirst). Apparently, I had forgotten to take the twisty-tie off the pita pocket bag, and it must've had metal in the tie. Oops.

The most recent disaster was probably the most embarrassing. I was all alone on the deli one afternoon, so I had to take out the food to the tables as well as make it. I was carrying two large chicken salads with 4 oz. cups of ranch sitting on the sides of the plates. When I got to the table, one of the plates started to wobble. I set one of them down successfully, but the other one, not so much. The salad was fine, but the ranch dressing spilled: all over my pants, all in the man's drink, and also on his lap. I reacted with an, "Oh shit!" Then realizing I had just cursed at a customer, proceeded to apologize profusely for my lack of professionalism. Also, there were children in the dining room. . . Needless to say, I hid in the back of the restaurant until the man had left. Oops.

No comments: