Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Hazards of the Job

I work in a shitty little Italian restaurant called Angelo's. It's a family-owned business, and I've been there for 4 years. The place was remodeled recently, and the new floors are pretty nice. They're made of large, sand-colored tiles which are a lot easier to sweep than the old floors. However, when they're wet, it's nearly impossible not to fall.

Tonight felt like it would never end, and I was more than ready to go home. Finally, my boss told me I could clock out, but I had to walk through the dining room in order to get to the exit. Just as I passed through the swinging door between the kitchen and the dining room, I started to slipped on the wet floor.

I caught myself but immediately slipped again. The second time felt like it happened in slow motion. I was just standing there in one spot, slipping over and over again while everyone (including one of my co-workers' boyfriend and another girl's husband) stood there and watched me with horror-stricken looks on their faces. 

Eventually my ass made contact with the floor, and I was no longer skating on the linoleum. All the spectators unfroze in unison and started asking me if I was ok or needed help. The boyfriend of my co-worker helped me up, even though I said I was fine (which was nice of him). It was really embarrassing though.

I ran for the door as gracefully as I could, and I'm hoping no one will remember the incident when I have to work again on Friday.

No comments: