Saturday, October 3, 2009

The Beatles-crazed Theater Professor



My friend, Lauren, is a theater major, and everywhere we go on campus, she runs into people she knows. Theater majors all know each other and are very outgoing but rather awkward in the way they communicate to each other. For instance, instead of saying "hello," one guy threw a paper airplane at us. He then snatched a comfy chair from the coffee shop we were in and bolted outside with it (I guess the patio furniture was not to his liking).
Today at the coffee shop with Lauren, I met her adviser. Lorraine was in her sixties, had short grey hair, and wore Ray-Ban glasses. She was very friendly, and as soon as Lauren introduced us, she grabbed both of my arms, shook me in her barely-contained excitement, and said with fervor, "I love your shirt! I met them when I was eleven!" I was wearing a black t-shirt with white lettering that read THE BEATLES.
Lorraine had saved all her allowance to buy tickets but only had $5.50. This being the case, she wrote a letter (to somebody) about how she really wanted to see the Beatles but didn't have enough money, and could she get a ticket anyways? As it happened, there was to be a radio contest giving away free tickets. They fixed the contest so she would get them, and off she went to see her favorite band.
Years later, she saw them in concert again and held up a sign saying something like "Contest Winner [year it happened]." George Harrison saw it, motioned to Paul McCartney, and they both waved to her in recognition. Lauren's theater professor, aficionada, and woman who shook me like a rag doll within the first 30 seconds of meeting me.

No comments: