Monday, May 17, 2010

Coffee and Cigarettes

I try very hard not to write an inordinate amount of posts about coffee, but sometimes I just can't contain my enthusiasm for the heavenly beverage. So, prepare yourself.

First of all, I must inform you that I don't smoke--not regularly, anyways. I don't like the taste cigarettes leave in my mouth, and I think the majority of people look trashy when they smoke--unless they're hipsters (which I'm not, really). Ah! Also, there's nothing worse than getting stuck beside that one person in class on a rainy day who smells like an ashtray--"wet smoker" is a way worse stench than "wet dog." But, I will smoke occasionally in a social setting if other people are doing it, or if I just want to sit outside and contemplate.

That being said, I was at the Open Eye Cafe in Chapel Hill not long ago and discovered the amazing combination of coffee and cigarettes. How ridiculous, right? Since there has been a relationship between the two, forged over centuries. At the time, though, I was unaware of this age-old bond.

It was late in the evening, and I was sitting with Hannah under a canopy of the venue's outdoor string lights, drinking coffee. I was rummaging through my purse, looking for something (probably a notebook and pen to write down some genius thought she'd had), when I realized I had some black clove cigarettes left (they're not made in the USA anymore, and the rebellious, yet unpractical side of me, thought it would be a good idea to buy 5 packs of them before they were discontinued). 

Anyway, we decided to smoke them, and I couldn't believe how amazing the combination of smoking cigarettes and drinking coffee was! It was almost like a revelation. I now understand how people can smoke first thing in the morning (as long as it is accompanied by a steamy cup of joe).

"Never Forget You" by the Noisettes