Thursday, May 27, 2010

Everyone Should Have an Aunt Donna

Today Aunt Donna and I sat on her porch swing for 3 hours, just talking. It had only been one week since our last "session," as I call them -- where we sit and talk about everything under the sun -- but it felt like much longer than that. 

The weather outside was beyond perfect. It made me feel so peaceful inside. We could have sat in silence that whole time, and I wouldn't have minded. I don't think I would have ever wanted to leave. The breeze was whispering, and the sky was crystal blue. When I closed my eyes, I could almost imagine I was in the French countryside, as Aunt Donna will be next week. I'm so jealous, but she promised to bring me back lots of photos and souvenirs. Plus, I'll be joining her there next summer once I graduate college.

It's amazing how many topics of conversation we can cover when we're together -- Aunt Donna and I. Nothing is commonplace, and everything is boundless. One minute we were talking about her chickens, and the next we were theorizing on why God made the sky blue and the grass green. She told me that she wants to buy a vineyard or a bed & breakfast in Europe, and that I could live there with her. We decided that, of course, it would have to have a porch swing.

2 comments:

hnystrom said...

omg so cute. i want an aunt donna so bad, man

My Walkabout said...

Great little story. hope you make it to France.