Tuesday, June 29, 2010

To Symmetry

My friend, Caroline, just got back from studying abroad in India for six months. I had coffee with her last week, and I loved hearing all about her time in Hyderabad. While we were talking, she made the offhand comment that they're obsessed with symmetry in India. I don't know why, but ever since then I've been thinking a lot about that. 

I like symmetry as well, but I have come to realize that I am a very unsymmetrical person. I keep a hairband around only my right wrist. I wear one ring consistently, and it is on my right hand. I have three earrings in my left ear but only two in my right. One side of my nose is pierced. I have a cowlick only on the left side of my head. My left foot is a bit smaller than my right. My fingernails are not the same length.

Would I be shunned in India, do you think?

"I Think I See the Light" by Cat Stevens

No comments: